DG Named One of the 6 Best Wheated Bourbons You’ll Actually Be Able to Find
Whiskey Raiders released their list of the 6 Best Wheated Bourbons You’ll Actually Be Able to Find, and Driftless Glen’s Wheated Bourbon is one of them.
Driftless Glen’s Wheated Bourbon was released in June of 2022. Aged at least 5 years, the Wheated Bourbon is a softer, sweeter expression of Driftless Glen’s award-winning bourbon. Notes of butterscotch, vanilla, and caramel complement the subtle wheat aroma of this delectable whiskey. Its mashbill consists of 55% corn, 35% wheat, and 10% distillers malt flour. It was bottled at varying proofs, with most barrels around 96 proof. It won a Gold Medal from Whiskies of the World (WOW) in 2022.
Tasting notes from Whiskey Raiders in the article include “On the palate, expect a medium to thick mouthfeel with hints of honey, toffee, crème brûlée, and vanilla bean. There are also flavors of oak, tannins, and baking spice, which help balance out the sweetness.”
A separate, full Whiskey Raiders review goes more in-depth:
- Intro: Distilled by Driftless Glen in Baraboo, Wisconsin, this wheated bourbon is a new release from the brand in its ever-growing catalog of bottlings. It’s aged at least 5 years and bottled at 50%, checking two boxes I love to see craft distillers hit: satisfactory age and thoughtful bottling proof. Let’s dive in!
- Nose: Sweet on the nose, full of butterscotch, honey, toffee, and a touch of cake batter and nutmeg. It’s all caramel and baking spice, soft and enticing.
- Taste: Palate has moderate viscosity, plenty of syrupy honey, toffee, crème brûlée, and vanilla bean. Pleasant oak, light tannins, and baking spice balance the sweet notes, with a peppery kick on the back palate.
- Finish: Pleasant finish that’s impressive and drawn out, full of caramel, caramelized sugar, tobacco, and butterscotch.
- Overall: Overall, this is a winner from Driftless Glen and demonstrates the brand’s continued excellence in producing some of the best whiskey in the midwest.